Snow Mobile Route
CITY OF FAYETTE
75.04 PLACES OF OPERATION. The operators of ATV’s and snow-mobiles shall comply with the following restrictions as to where ATV’s and snowmobiles may be operated within the City:
1. Streets. ATV’s and snowmobiles shall be operated only upon streets which have not been plowed during the snow season and on the following designated streets:
A. Along Hwy 150 on Iowa Dept. of Transportation Right-of way consistent with Iowa State Law.
B. Main Street, from the north corporate line to Water Street.
C. East Water Street, from Main Street to Washington Street.
D. Washington Street, from E. Water Street to the County Road (C24) to Wadena.
E. County Road (C24) “Wadena Road” to the east corporate line.
F. East State Street, from Washington Street to Main Street.
G. From the intersection of Highway 150, west of 515 E. Water Street (The Pumper) to the recreation trail east of the Highway 150 bridge and on the recreation trail to the Main Street bridge. The portion of the recreation trail west of the Highway 150 bridge is not allowed.
H. Other Streets: Snowmobiles may be operated on any street within the city for the sole and exclusive purpose of using the most direct roadway for the ingress or egress to/from the city. No snowmobile shall be driven on any roadway or right-of-way except for the provisions listed in this chapter.
2. Exceptions. ATV’s and snowmobiles may be operated on prohibited streets only under the following circumstances:
A. Emergencies. ATV’s and snowmobiles may be operated on any street in an emergency during the period of time when and at locations where snow upon the roadway renders travel by conventional motor vehicles impractical.
B. Direct Crossing. ATV’s and snowmobiles may make a direct crossing of a prohibited street provided:
(1) The crossing is made at an angle of approximately ninety degrees (90°) to the direction of the street & at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick & safe crossing;
(2) The ATV or snowmobile is brought to a complete stop before crossing the street;
(3) The driver yields the right-of-way to all on-coming traffic which constitutes an immediate hazard; and
(4) In crossing a divided street, the crossing is made only at an intersection of such street with another street.
3. Railroad Right-of-way. ATV’s and snowmobiles shall not be operated on an operating railroad right-of-way. An ATV or snowmobile may be driven directly across a railroad right-of-way only at an established crossing and notwithstanding any other provisions of law may, if necessary, use the improved portion of the established crossing after yielding to all oncoming traffic.
4. Trails. ATV’s shall not be operated on snowmobile trails and snowmobiles shall not be operated on all-terrain vehicle trails except where so designated.
5. Parks and Other City Land. ATV’s and snowmobiles shall not be operated in any park, playground or upon any other City-owned property without the express permission of the City. A snowmobile shall not be operated on any City land without a snow cover of at least one-tenth of one inch.
6. Sidewalk or Parking. ATV’s and snowmobiles shall not be operated upon the public sidewalk or that portion of the street located between the curb line and the sidewalk or property line commonly referred to as the “parking” except for purposes of crossing the same to a public street upon which operation is authorized by this chapter.
75.05 HOURS OF OPERATION. No snowmobile shall be operated in the City between the hours of ten-thirty o’clock (10:30) p.m. and eight o’clock (8:00) a.m. except for emergency situations or for loading and unloading from a transport trailer.
A full copy of the Fayette City Code is available for viewing at Fayette City Hall or at www.fayetteiowa.com.
City Administrator/Clerk Kris McGrane